Welcome back everyone!
As the newly appointed Superintendent of the Swansea Public Schools, I am honored and excited as we embark upon the 2013-2014 school year. I am a product of the Swansea Public Schools and a proud graduate of Case High School, Class of 1976. I have spent 28 of my 32 years in public education in the Swansea Public Schools. I have either taught or have been an administrator at all levels kindergarten through 12th grade in the district. I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the Swansea Public Schools and vow to do everything that I am capable of in order to maintain the excellent system that we have and continue to lead us into the 21st century of public education.
The Swansea Public Schools are fortunate to have a very knowledgeable and supportive School Committee and a community that values and supports our school system. We have an administrative team that is dedicated to providing the leadership that is necessary for our instructional staff to continue to deliver the very best education and provide a positive educational environment for all stakeholders. Our instructional staff is extremely dedicated and shares the same vision and philosophy in educating our students and believes that all students can be successful.
Our entire system believes “Students Come First”.
I am confident that the Swansea Public Schools are ready to meet the educational challenges that are currently upon us as well as those that are on the horizon. Our administrators and staff have engaged in professional development throughout the summer months to prepare ourselves to continue to provide the best education possible for all stakeholders as well as be in compliance with the mandates that the DESE (Department of Secondary and Elementary Education) has placed upon both at the present and in the future.
We have addressed many objectives throughout the summer and will continue to do so throughout the 2013-2014 school year:
- Reorganization of Central Office (Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent /Director of Student Services, Assistant Director of Student Services, Student Services Coordinator)
- Massachusetts Educator Evaluation System (Year 2)
- Implementation of the Common Core State Standards and the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks
- Development and revision of formative and summative assessments to align with the CCSS
- Align the Elementary Skills Assessments with the new curriculum
- New College and Career Readiness program (Naviance) grades 6 – 12
- New Mentoring Program/Curriculum and Lead Mentors district wide
- Professional Learning Communities and Leadership Teams across the district
- Updated instructional materials across the district
- Additional instructional technology (iPad mobile labs, interactive white boards, DLP projectors)
- Expansion of the ARCH (Alternative Roadway through Case High School) program
- Improvement of building security and infrastructure across the district ( Gateway System, cameras, monitors, doors, locks, police and fire communications)
- Continued work with the Swansea Police and Fire Departments on school security policies and procedures
- Contracted new Food Service Management Company (Chartwells), upgrades in cafeterias and food service program
- Negotiated and settled three-year contracts with four of the five Collective Bargaining Units
Much of our focus on Capital Improvements has been centered on updating, improving and maintaining our school environments throughout the district. We believe safe, clean nurturing environments are conducive to effective teaching and learning and improved student achievement.
- District Wide – Security Improvements, roof surveys and preventative maintenance program in all buildings
- Gardner School – Parent – Student Parking / Drop-Off Infrastructure, strip/sand and refinishing of all hardwood floors S. wing, new cafeteria tables, additional security cameras/monitors
- Hoyle School – Classroom carpeting phase III, exterior lighting, refinish gymnasium floor, building perimeter landscaping, air conditioning repair
- Luther School – New gymnasium/cafeteria/kitchen floor, refinish all hardwood floors N.wing, new cafeteria tables, new playground equipment (PTO), new electric main line from Pearse Rd.
- Brown School – New boiler completed, gutters, downspouts and soffits entire building, pointing of exterior brick walls, refinish gymnasium floor
- Case Junior HS – Phase IV of window replacement, new gymnasium divider, refinishing of hardwood floors, pointing of exterior brick walls and stairs
- Case High School – Septic system repair and upgrade monitoring system, Phase III of Science classroom / lab initiative, hot water tank/system, gymnasium floor refinishing, air conditioning auditorium
We continue to pride ourselves in the education and educational facilities that we provide for the Swansea community. We are fortunate to a have the support of the community in helping us reach our goal and accomplishing our mission of educating all students to their maximum potential.
Have a great year!
Robert G. Monteiro
Swansea Public Schools